One of my favorite things to come home from school...


Griffin Gast
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was a good man.
He believed everyone should be friends.
He believed in peace.


I had to share this because it just totally exemplifies what I love about Griffin being in kindergarten. As much as I would love to think he made this up, I really believe he was writing something the teacher had written on the board for them.
The week before MLK day, Griffin came home from school telling me all the wonderful things he was learning about Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. But of course, to understand his GOODNESS, you have to understand the EVIL he was fighting. Griffin said something like, "Can you believe that white people and black people didn't go to the same schools or restaurants? Can you believe some people thought white people were better than black people? They even made Dr. MLK's Mom sit in the back of the bus!" ***o.k. a few things got a bit jumbled for him*** And this is the part where I started crying. This was all news to Griffin. Before this he was mostly unaware that racism exists in the world, that people are judged by the color of their skin and it was sad for me to see the veil being dropped, the innocence lost. But to know where we are going, we must understand where we are coming from, I believe that. And my frown turned into a great big smile when Griffin told me, "When I grow up I want to have the same job as Dr. Martin Luther King, I want to make peace......Or be a cop!"

Comments

MountainWave said…
Frame it sister.....or some equivalent of framing. I love this post and I love you.

Popular posts from this blog

Griffin is 19.

Dr. Seuss Party, Part 1 Decor and Food

Watch out world, here she comes! Lucy is a very sweet 16 today.