Last sewing post for a while, I promise!

Here is another fun project I was able to make based on an online tutorial. We received Griffin's list of needed school supplies and one item was a nap mat. I had never heard of such a thing but after a quick google search, I found it is just a 1" to 2" thick mat covered in a simple vinyl. They run anywhere from $8 to $25. No problem, except they are UGLY and not cozy in the least. My friend Chris (THANK YOU for thinking of me!!!) had just given me LOTS of yardage of dino fabric that I was dying to use for something so after finding the free tutorial I thought I might as well try it. It turned out pretty cute I think. I changed a few things from the directions. Originally I had button closures on it but it was hard for Griff to open and close quickly and within a few tries one button already was ripped off. I quickly decided Velcro would be a better option - after all, I did not want this to be a hassle for the teacher. The mat also has Velcro running down one side so the mat can be removed for easy washing but the directions on the tutorial were not great on that (If you are going to make one, feel free to contact me for further discussion of that.) The tutorial has you attaching a minky blanket but at $12.99/yard to be used on the classroom floor, I felt it was something that could be skipped. So, using supplies I had on hand and a coupon or two the mat ended up costing about $15....not a savings by making it myself, but I'll know my little boy is as comfortable as possible when he enters that big bad world of kindergarten! AND, I have enough Velcro and foam pad left to make one for Lucy - a great portable bed to take with us on weekend trips when she outgrows the pack n' play. Hmmmm, I see some yardage of this in my near future!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Griffin is 19.

Dr. Seuss Party, Part 1 Decor and Food

Watch out world, here she comes! Lucy is a very sweet 16 today.