A new year, a new quilt block swap

Quilting is becoming such an outlet for me. I love fabric; the colors, the textures, the moods they inspire and quilting is a natural extension of that. I love the peaceful feeling I get when creating, the satisfied feeling watching something useful start to come together.
I have joined a block of the month club at our local quilting store. The instructor will be choosing the fabric and block patterns each month (the theme being 1930's reproduction fabrics - so pretty!) I figure it will be a great chance to learn proper techniques as I have just been figuring it out as I go along up until now. Our first meeting was a long one, but so good. We were talking about what type of thread to use and the instructor was talking in terms of a 100 years...like, which will hold up and look the best in a hundred years. I thought that was such an interesting perspective. In has made me think about what I am doing/leaving that will be here in a hundred years: my gene pool and legacy through my children, my perspective through my blog, my textile artwork. Also things I am not crazy about like plastic from the toys I've bought my kids and food containers that cannot be recycled, my carbon footprint. I would love to hear from some of you, what remnants of you will be found on this planet in 100 years?

I will be doing the quilt block swap again this year with my sister, Jessica, and this year my cousin Jennifer is joining in too. Here is how last year wrapped up for me. Remember, in most cases you just have a theme for each month and choosing the fabric and pattern is up to you.

September - Beautiful Fall

October - Beautiful Fall

November - Novelty Fall

December - Germany

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Griffin is 19.

Dr. Seuss Party, Part 1 Decor and Food

Watch out world, here she comes! Lucy is a very sweet 16 today.