6 weeks old


I have to say it again. I am so thankful for this child. It has been amazing, mothering her for the past 6 weeks (plus 9 mos. in utero!) This experience has been unique and totally different then my first 6 weeks with Griffin. I think the biggest difference is experience. That experience has given me the confidence to trust my instincts, that I didn't have with Griffin. I also read a book called "The happiest baby on the block" by Dr. Harvey Karp , that has totally affirmed my instincts. He talks about the 4th trimester, that babies behave and should be treated more like fetuses for their first 3 months of life. I couldn't agree more. I nurse Lucy on demand, in fact she barely whimpers before we are on her, attending to her needs. I hold her as much as humanly possible (the Dr. points out how babies are held 24 hrs. a day in the womb so even 17 hrs. outside is a lot less for them.) and she sleeps in between Bruce and I. I use the Maya wrap to mimic the womb sensation and make loud whooooshing sounds in her ear if she starts to fuss. She truly is the happiest baby! My pediatrician warns against feeding on demand and has told me to start spacing out her feedings, let her cry for it a little - especially at night. But you know what - I will not do that. That feels cruel and unnecessary and I like to feed and care for my baby. It is my pleasure, my calling, my purpose right now. Once she hits 3 months and has matured some, we will definitely change our approach with her to match her independence levels. And...I am happy to tell you, she has only woken once to feed for the past two nights, all on her own. How do ya' like them apples, doc!!

Comments

4cheeseheads said…
Letting a baby cry at night at 6 weeks old is CRAZY!! Most drs say at 3-4 months you can start doing that. Good call and trusting your instincts and doing what is best for Lucy. A mother knows best.
Sounds like a great book, I've heard of it, and the author also has one Happiest Toddler on the Block.
I do agree second time around seems much easier and less stress than the first time. You know more and what to do for certain things.
Very cute photo of Griff holding his little sister. Now that she's been here 6 weeks is he adjusting better to having a sibling?
Anonymous said…
I am so glad to hear things are going so well. I read some of teh book when I was going to nanny for a new mother and he has a lot of good points regarding the 4th trimester. I am glad it is working so well. Have a great week.

Love,
Jennifer Wright

Popular posts from this blog

Griffin is 19.

Dr. Seuss Party, Part 1 Decor and Food

Christina Lucia Gast