Germany Part 1

So, we flew on Lufthansa from Detroit to Frankfurt. It was a good fight, easy on, easy off and even though I did not sleep much it felt good to see the sunrise and feel the promise of the new day.

My first "you're not it Kansas anymore" moment came when I saw the women in front of me hold up the days news. I stared, I gasped, I felt tears spring to my eyes....on the cover of her German newspaper were pictures of caskets coming off a plane, all draped with the American flag.

I realized with a start how shielded I have been from these types of images. Although, I speak of my opposition to this WAR and this leadership's POLICIES to anyone who will listen, I feel ashamed that I have not done more. The violence and killing of so many beloved people from all parts of the world as result of this war will haunt me for a long, long time to come. I grieve for the loss of life.
OK, OK, back to travel tales and much happier fare.
So after a very happy reunion with my sister and her family, we immediately found the nearest Starbucks and proceeded to get caffeinated. I will argue that my sister is the biggest Starbucks fan in the world and I will show you a photo to prove it (later)! Seeing as it was about 9 am in Germany, it was time for breakfast so fresh Bratwurst was next on the agenda. Finally, we were ready to leave the airport.

Our first destination was the largest wine growing region in Germany to a little town called Nierstein. This area is referred to the Rhine River area (makes sense since the road there runs parallel to the Rhine River). The drive there was gorgeous.

We stopped at a winery called, Raddeck Weingut which is very near where the Amor's lived last year.

Stephan, the Grower and Maker of Wines, was kind enough to sit down with us for an hour to tell us about this region and his wines. The weather there is most conducive to growing white wines and this is where all the good German Rieslings come from.


The soil in this area is composed of a red clay that gives the Rieslings their sweet yet dry flavor.

It was really fun to hang out there and quite a refresher for me on the wine process. Next we cruised over to a little town called Oppenheim and took a peak around their city square.

Yeah, it really does look like this.

Then it was time to head to Jess and Anthony's flat in Hohenecken. It is a small town located next to the Kaiserslauten Base...they actually work on the Vogelweh Airforce base. That night, Jess and Anthony wanted to take us out for some traditional German food So we headed to a neighboring town, Landstuhl, to the "old fire station" for dinner.

We had a delicious meal of Jagerschnitzel and kroketten.

After dinner, it was a struggle to stay awake but I think I made it to about 9:30.
I will post more of the trip in the next few days!

Comments

MountainWave said…
Very cool to see pics and read about your trip.

Hello to you and the fellas.

All our love.

Popular posts from this blog

Griffin is 19.

Dr. Seuss Party, Part 1 Decor and Food

Watch out world, here she comes! Lucy is a very sweet 16 today.