Southern Trip: Part VI

I better finish these vacation posts soon as I am running out of Roman numerals that I know. So after we left the Jack Daniels distillery, we were hoping for a quick drive into Memphis. In reality, the only way to get there was a small, curvy 2-lane road with a maximum speed limit of 55 mph. Normally, this is our preferred mode of travel, but at this point in the trip we were ready for a short drive and a relaxing evening in a decent hotel. We drove for about an hour when we saw signs advertising "Moonshine Jelly" - c'mon, you know we had to stop. Because Griffin looked like this,



we decided that I would run in and investigate and Bruce would stay in the car. As we pulled in, I could not believe my eyes...I daydream of places like this.



It did not disappoint as it was filled with Native American Crafts, old dusty quilts, vintage postcards, locally made bake goods, terrifying ceramic dolls and shelf after shelf of early 80's flea market leftovers. I could have spent hours in there, but my allergies and sleeping child prevented me! I did notice that outside the back window of this shop there were beautiful rocks and waterfalls. The owner invited me to peak out of the back door at his view, after all I had purchased some Moonshine Jelly (I would be glad to share some with you when you stop in for a visit). It was so beautiful...trees covered in moss, a small creek at the base of a rock wall with tons of little waterfalls. There were a bunch of people having dinner on the back porch (cooking on a little open fire ON the back porch) and although they were very friendly and asked me to join them I knew it was time to get going. That night we stayed at a dumpy little motel, because for like 200 miles all there was, was dumpy little motels. Then next day we got up early and drove the hour and half remaining into Memphis.
We stopped first at Graceland to take the tour. Here is the thing about Graceland, for us Elvis fans it is something you have to do once in your life but man, it is bogue!! It is an expensive, overly franchised machine. Any of the magic that use to exist there has been shoved into small boxes and sold to the tourists for $50/ounce. I will leave it at that, but here are some pictures of the place...maybe it will save you from making the pilgrimage yourself.

Anyways, after a few hours spent reminiscing over Elvis with herds of fans all bumping into each other while listening to the recorded tour guide through earphones, we headed to Beal Street. This is THE place to go to hear the Blues. There are like 20 bars in 2 blocks, all advertising live blues every night. We had lunch at B.B. King's place and spent some time in the shops. This is a place we will definitely be going back to, CHILD FREE! Not really a family friendly area, but definitely a place to be explored.


That afternoon we passed over the Mississippi River, through Arkansas, Missouri,Illinois and 2 days later we were back with our family in Indiana.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Griffin is 19.

Dr. Seuss Party, Part 1 Decor and Food

Watch out world, here she comes! Lucy is a very sweet 16 today.